Work In Progress
experimenting with some new glass painting and glass fusing techniques. Actually, my truck broke down and I was stranded at my folks place after the holidays, so I started brainstorming what might be possible. And I started thinking about the glass you see in old style cathederals, and how they achieve the shading and detail in their windows, and so I wanted to see if I couldn't pull that off myself. What do you think? I mean, usually I've found that a crisp line-art type paint works the best, stands out the most, but there's no room for halftones or shades, and I wanted to give it a shot. Success? Or does it look too muddled? Let me know what you think.
I tried it on two different colors of glass, ivory (top) and champaign. Typically we use champaign for skintones, but the more you fire it, the darker it gets, which....can be an issue. I'm partial to the ivory, especially as the model's skin is super super pale to start off with, but the champaign has it's merits too. In all likelyhood we'll only finish one window, with the extra pieces on hand in case we ever need something or have a random idea.
The roses were something too; I've done a lot of fusing, but unless you use compatible coeficcient glass, it tends to fractuer along stress faults. Which doesn't look good. But if you use compatible glass, or same on same, it'll hold up just fine. And, as we were out of the colors I wanted to use in compatible glass, I tried same on same. In the past, we've cut flowers like this, and soldered them together, but that leaves a lot of big, thick, and unsightly solderlines throughout the piece. So, fusing, to see what happens. Overall, this piece has mostly been a testbed to try out new methods and techniques, but if it turns out, hey, all the better
if you've got feedback or insight, by all means, share!